The growth and transformation of Waste Reduction Week to Circular Economy Month wouldn’t be possible without the support of our program partners over the past twenty years. For 2023 we are pleased to welcome TELUS back as a Founding Partner of Canada’s Circular Economy Month campaign.
TELUS is committed to leveraging its innovative technology to drive positive change and help address the world’s most pressing social and environmental issues. As one of Canada’s largest telecommunications providers, TELUS is leading initiatives and investing in technologies and business practices that support Canada’s advancement to a circular economy and lead the way to a sustainable future.
The circular economy recognizes a combination of business models that aligns economic, environmental, and social outcomes simultaneously. Through its Bring-It-Back™ and device recycling program and Mobile Klinik®, TELUS is integrating two key circular business models: product life extension and resource recovery.
TELUS Circular Commitments and Achievements:
- Since 2005, TELUS has recycled 3.8 million mobile devices and counting.
- More than 88,000 mobile devices were reused in 2022 through the Bring-It-Back™ program.
- Over 144,400 used devices were traded in, in 2022
- Provided more than 3,860 mobile devices through the Mobility for Good program
- In 2022, over 178,000 Certified Pre-Owned units were repaired and resold which is an 11% increase from 2021.
- TELUS has reduced 46% of company-wide GHG emissions since 2010.
- TELUS has committed to using 100% renewable electricity by 2025, having net carbon neutral operations by 2030 or sooner, and being zero waste by 2030.
- Through Mobile Klinik®, TELUS is supporting its customers to reduce waste and repair electronic equipment. Mobile Klinik is Canada’s leader in professional smartphone and tablet repair, refurbishment and resale with 100 locations across Canada. Buying used devices or repairing old ones keeps devices out of landfills and gives people options that are better for the planet and improve affordability.
Learn more about TELUS’ circular economy and sustainability efforts at telus.com/sustainability
“TELUS is committed to achieving zero waste by 2030. We are applying circular economy principles by developing new systems that minimize waste generation, reuse materials, and maximize diversion of waste to landfill. To date, TELUS and our customers have responsibly recycled over 3.9 million mobile devices and counting, with potential savings of over 2,000 metric tonnes of carbon emissions each year when compared to selling new mobile devices. We are proud to continue supporting Circular Economy Month in educating and raising awareness on the road to a circular economy.”— Geoffrey Pegg, Head of Sustainability, TELUS